Monday, July 27, 2015

Life in Nevada

Hello! So this letter is going to be a little shorter but anyway...
I am serving in Spring Creek, Nevada. It's about 25 minutes or so from Elko. It took about 5 hours to get here from Reno so that was a crazy long drive! Also, side note...everyone here measures distance in miles...? It's super weird cuz I'll say I live about 20 minutes from Indianapolis and everyone looks at me like I'm crazy for measuring distance in minutes. It's also weird because people will tell me that somewhere is 30 miles away and I have to ask them how long they're driving or how fast they're going so I can translate to Indiana talk. That was a random side not, but anyway...
So Sister Torres is my trainer and she's awesome! She's from Florida and we're a lot alike. We both love fast food, despite Subway and Dominos being the only fast food places within a 25 minute drive. She also drinks Dr Pepper a lot so she doesn't judge me for my Mountain Dew intake. We get along super well though so it's been pretty fun!
Man our apartment is a dump. Jk that's cuz it doesn't exist. We live in a member's home. They're the Baileys and they're pretty cool. Brother Bailey owns a business where he designs homes and then the people that work for him build the homes. Their house is awesome! Also, we have a house cleaner that comes in so that's great because I don't have to clean bathrooms or anything. The pictures I have attached of the landscape is our view from the front lawn, which we can also see from our desk that we study at.
Everyone and their mother here owns a dog. No kidding. Every house we go to there is at least one.
Everyone here also knows a Mormon. It's pretty much a mini-Utah out here and everyone is super nice. We've done a ton of work with less actives. The only unfortunate thing is the ward slacks on signing up for dinners on our calendar. Oh wait...We have one night in the next 3 or 4 weeks that we don't have a dinner appointment for. So glad I'm a sister cuz that means people feed us :)
The ward mission leader is Brother Hadley. I was talking to him and found out that both of his parents grew up in Brazil, Indiana. So that's awesome! He and his wife are super cool. We actually used to be in charge of our dinner calendar and had half of our nights filled for dinner appointments, but since she took charge of it this week she got all of our nights filled. So that's awesome!
I'm going to send a ton of pictures now because they won't attach
Love you all!
Sister Ashley Gootee

No comments:

Post a Comment