Monday, August 17, 2015

1 Transfer Down

Hello all! Not as much happened this week, but I feel we can all be grateful for that. I'm always glad when car accidents and food poisoning are not involved :)
Well tomorrow is transfer day. I'm being transferred to downtown Reno. I've heard it's pretty sketchy. JK, missions don't send sisters there :) I'll be in Spring Creek for another transfer at least! This little town is kinda growing on me. Who woulda thought that I could live in a town that doesn't even have a stoplight?
Sister Torres and I are doing great. It's awesome because you can see our different strengths. Before her mission she was vegan so at dinners I always let her know what kind of meat we are eating because she usually doesn't know. Before my mission, I was definitely 100% not vegan, so Sister Torres lets me know what kind of disgusting..I mean delicious..veggies we are eating. I had squash and zuchini last week. That may have been the first time I've eaten those before.
This week we had a lesson with this one family we've been teaching again. We related Harry Potter to the gospel and the son at the end asked us if it connected in any other ways. Challenge accepted.
We got to go to the ward campout the other night! Well, we went to the dinner and fireside and then left after I entirely pigged out on s'mores. They were so delicious! It was a super pretty area that they were camping out in. There were legit trees everywhere and real grass and everything! There were so many trees that you couldn't see the mountains #blessings
Speaking of foilage and such, people here mow their weeds. During relief society the teacher was talking about how she remembers mowing the weeds with her dad when she was younger. The things people say in Nevada...
An amazing miracle we had this week is we taught this girl named Daisy for the first time this week. Her family is active but they want to help her work toward baptism. The miracle, however, is they gave me cookies n cream ice cream. You can pretty much say they are my favorite family now.
Something that I've learned on my mission is how important prayer is. I knew it was important before my mission, but I never really realized that it is a commandment to pray often. As I was thinking about why it would be so important I thought of an analogy. It's like when we were 2 or 3 and thought we were super independent and could do everything ourselves. However, our mom knew better and would always advise us to ask her for help so that we wouldn't make a mess of things and so that we could do things the way she wants us to have it done. It's a lot like Heavenly Father and us because we are a lot less experienced and like to think out of pride that we can do things on our own and don't need His help. However, Heavenly Father wants everything to go well in our lives so He wants us to pray and ask for help.
Well, I got through a transfer of my mission. I survived waking up at 6 or 6:30 every morning and I survived so many dinner appointments (which, for those of you who don't know me, is pretty impressive to me at least). I survived a car accident and food poisoning and getting lit on fire (oh I guess I never told y'all about that. Oh well).
Love and miss you all!
Sister Ashley Gootee :)

No comments:

Post a Comment